Sunday, July 1, 2012

Super Hero Theme

So I posted the other night that I thought I was going to do a superhero theme in my classroom next year. I'm pretty pumped about it. I didn't have a chance to talk to Chris about it until Friday night and I was going to post this yesterday but I ended up doing a Daily 5 post instead. Anyway, I've decided on 4 group names. I'm going to have The Supers, The Amazings, The Invinsibles, and The Fantastics. I've made some signs to go with these group names. I've also made some small pictures of the groups that I'm going to put on cardstock and laminate to put on my students desks. We can't hang stuff from the ceiling. I'm thinking about changing out the fabric on my bulletin boards as well. One is orange and I can't change it out very easily because my Promethean board was installed on top of it and then one is multicolored. I've been thinking about the whole idea of streamlining my room to only use a few colors for things like that. I'm thinking I might do the bulletin boards in black and then add some accents in red and blue. I don't know if I will or not. I don't have to take all that stuff down so I usually don't over the summer. I also left my student work board up from last year. I hadn't planned on redoing it. But I think I might add some of the tissue paper border I saw on Classroom DIY I think. I do know that I want to make a cape and a mask for the kids to take a picture on the first day of school. Camille at An Open Door has a great post about a super hero project. I'm thinking this would be the perfect way to use these pictures. Check her post out here. 
I was very inspired by Jennifer at Herding Kats in Kindergarten to create a placemat for my class. Hers are super cute but they didn't fit my theme (She has a great Where the Wild Things Are one and a super cute Pete the Cat one.) and I'm going to be teaching first grade next year. So I took her idea and tweaked it to make it work for me. I made sure it was ok with her before I shared it. So I'm sharing the placemat and the group cards. I hope to make some more things with a super hero theme but I don't seem to have enough time in the day to get everything done I want to do.
I like sharing stuff through Scribd because I can see how many downloads it gets and embed the file in the post. But I've had several people say that it doesn't work without having  to pay something. So Click here to get the download from Google Docs.

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
I started reading chapter 4 of Math Work Stations last night and my head started spinning. Diller shares so many great ideas. I think math Monday will probably have to be on Tuesday again this week to give me time to create some things to go along with this chapter. So be sure to check back for some math freebies.
One last thing, this Thursday there is a bloggy get together for anyone in the East Tennessee area or beyond. We're meeting at the Smoky Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg on July 5th at 12. If you are interested, please drop me an email so I can give you some directions and traffic pointers.

5 comments:

  1. I can't make it to the meet-up, but will you please post about when the next one will be and where! Thank you!
    Jennifer
    kindertrips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A shout out AND those great placemats. I feel super blessed. Thank you Kerri! I love your idea of doing the super hero photos at the beginning of the year and leaving them up all year. I have done them in May and only have them up a month. I like your idea much more! Thanks again for everything!
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the superhero theme idea - your kids will love it!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that I'm not gonna be able to make it to this meet-up! :( I had so much fun at the last one! I hope ya'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankful you stopped by my blog this week! I'm your newest follower!
    Michelle
    nomonkeybusinessmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete