Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Say Yes to the Dress

Disclaimer: This post will have absolutely nothing to do with teaching.
I'm getting married on June 16 and have only been engaged less than a month. I want a super small wedding with just immediate family only. So it works out to be about 14 people (that includes me and Chris and our 2 nieces under 2.) Well I thought it would be easy to find a place to get married. Originally we were planning to go to the beach but then my parents made an offer that couldn't be turned down. They offered to pay for our honeymoon to the Keys if we just go married somewhere around home. So we thought about it and decided that getting married in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park would be good because we spend a lot of time there. We first thought about a place we like to camp but that idea was kind of shot down. As I was looking at places on Friday, every place I looked was booked on the day we wanted to get married. I finally found something that I thought would work except it was really expensive for what you were getting (which was nothing but a place and some tables and chairs.) and it was booked on our day. Well Saturday that idea was shot down as well. I was really really discouraged and in quite a funk on Saturday.  But Chris being the wonderful guy he is wouldn't let me have a bad attitude. Sunday we set about finding a place and we did. We're getting married at The Buckhorn Inn. It's a b and b that is beautiful and surprisingly enough was about the same cost as getting married somewhere in the National Park with catering. And better yet they had the date we wanted. So yesterday, we went dress shopping. I'll be real honest. I was not super excited about it. I need to lose some weight before the wedding and I wanted a short dress. I was really worried that I wouldn't find what I wanted and with the wedding 5 months away I didn't have a lot of time.
This is the bed and breakfast from the back.

This is going to be the view from where we're getting married.

My mom, sister and future mother in law went with me and it ended up being a great experience. The first place we went to they were really nice and I felt like I was on "Say Yes to the Dress." I tried on the long, more traditional dresses and they were pretty but not for me. I tried on a dress that I liked but it didn't feel real bridal. Which could be because it was a bridesmaid dress. The next place we went to, the lady that greeted us wasn't very nice but the girl that helped us was. I've watched a lot of Say yest to the Dress. I should've learned that you don't try on dresses that you can't afford. They had 2 short dresses and I tried them both on. The last one I tried on was so pretty. It had a sweetheart neckline and laced us and was made of 100% silk. Yeah it was $2300 and I just couldn't fathom spending that much on a dress. So we left it behind. But no worries, the last place we went to they had a great selection of short dresses and I found the dress. It's beautiful and special and not what I thought I wanted at all. It's a short dress but long in the back and covered in lace and beads. If you saw my pictures on my A day in my shoes post then you saw what I was thinking. But I love it and it makes me feel  bridal. I said yes to the dress and don't feel guilty about the price either.
Anyway, thanks for sticking with me on this post. I know it's not teaching related but I feel like my friends in blogland are on this journey with me. Plus I was thought of Kristin at Teeny Tiny Teacher and her posts on The Bachelor and figured I could go for a non teaching post. Back to school today. I think I can, I think I can.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I'm so glad that things are coming together for you!!! My daughter got married last August, so I completely understand what you are going through. The place looks gorgeous! What a view! And the flowers will be in bloom and lovely.

    Congrats on your plans!
    Dee
    First Impressions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding a place and a dress! I know how stressful that can be! :)

    Sarah
    Kindergarten Korner

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everything worked out. The place looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete