Saturday, January 14, 2012

Plan for my clutter


Well it's week two of the clutter free classroom challenge. I didn't remove one bit of my clutter this week and the great part is that according to this challenge, I didn't have to. I just had to come up with a plan. I'm great at coming up with plans. It's the carrying out the plan that I'm not always successful at. I love making lists and planning things. I found this great calendar for decluttering your house on pinterest. I copied January, February, and March in a calendar and I've yet to do one thing. It has small tasks for each day. I got behind and then trying to catch up wast too hard. Maybe tomorrow I'll tackle some of my clutter in my room. That's my bedroom not my classroom. I don't have to tackle that clutter yet. Although I don't know what the challenge is next week.
So here are my rules for things to get rid of:
  • I haven't used it in kindergarten or first grade. I teach kindergarten one year and then first the next so if I haven't used it last time I was in one grade or the other. I can get rid of it.
  • I have more of said item than I can use in a loop. I have a plethora of sharpies and pens that I've had since my first year teaching. They were donated to the school I was at then. I've moved them more than once. I use them but I have an excessive amount of them.
  • It is damaged or broken. 
Those are really all I've got. I like having the paper copy of something I'm going to use. It is easier for me to have it in a file when I want to copy it then to have to print it off again. I also have a shelf of things that the kids have given me over the years. I like this shelf. It reminds me of why I do what I do and it makes me smile. Plus the kids like to see it.
The things that I don't need anymore are either going to be donated, recycled or I'm going to take the teacher books to a used bookstore.
I haven't really gathered any materials to help me purge and organize. But I did make a list of the places I want to work on. I had thought I would try to take an afternoon a week or every two weeks and tackle one of these places. This week I saw lots of places I should have probably taken pictures of to show some of my clutter. I'm definitely more aware of it than I was before.
If you want to join the fun of the clutter free classroom project, check it out here.


    Clutter-Free Classroom

    4 comments:

    1. Seems like a great plan! You're on your way :)

      Come by and check out my 500 follower giveaway :)

      Have a great weekend!

      ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
      A Teacher's Treasure
      Teaching Treasures Shop

      ReplyDelete
    2. love love love your idea of using a calendar to keep it going, because I am also a great planner & do not follow through... thanks for the idea:)
      {Kimberlee}
      Two Fulbright Hugs
      Teacher Time Savers

      ReplyDelete
    3. Don't worry we'll (the blogging community) be sure you follow through with all your plans! I think you have a great start and can't wait to see the changes you make!
      Rambling About Reading

      ReplyDelete
    4. I can't imagine how much "stuff" it takes to teach two different grade levels back to back. It is hard to purge things from old grade levels. It's the "what if I need it again" worry. Good luck managing your clutter, don't give up!

      EmilyK

      ReplyDelete