1. We started our unit on geometry this week. Our math series is Pearson's Envisions and I hate it. It is not common core aligned at all. But I use part of it and have been supplementing with great stuff from TPT. I love Deanna Jump and Deedee Wills's Guiding Math units and have supplemented with those. This sort is from their unit 1.
2. We had a great meeting with our Fourth Grade Reading Buddies this week. I have been working with my kids on reading non fiction and pulling information from the text. We've made circle maps as a class with the information and the kids have to write a sentence. I've been trying to get them to write sentences that don't start with I. The cool thing is the fourth graders have been working on text structure and main idea and details. So it was great for both of our classes!
3. This week I let my kids do a little book shopping on their own. I love the ideas behind Daily Five and I love how you can adapt it for your students. Since I loop, I use second semester of kindergarten to lay the foundation for daily 5 in first grade. This is what works for me. For now, I choose most of the books for my kids. But I let them choose a couple of books that I get from the library. Eventually they will get to pick all their books.
4. We got out the geo boards this week. I love this particular manipulative! I have run into a problem though. They are old and the rubber bands have rotted. They were breaking left and right. I need to see if I can order some from amazon. They were suppose to telling their partners how to make the shape they had on their board. It went ok. I just bought Jennifer from Blue Skies in First Grade's Geoboard pack in the TpT sale. So I'm excited to get that going.
5. And five for Friday isn't complete without a picture of one of my nieces. Thursday I visited with this wild girl. She got mad at me because I made her play Hi Ho Cherrio the right way. She didn't want to play with me until I started playing with her baby sister. Then she wanted to play cars. So we played with all her cars.
So that is my week. Be sure to head over to Kacey's blog to see what everyone else had been up to.