Sunday, February 5, 2012

Valentine's Day Units

I've been working on a couple of units for Valentine's day for forever now. I really wanted to get it done before February 1st but it just didn't happen. I have Valentine's Literacy Activities and a Puppy Love Math unit up on my Teacher's notebook store. I have a couple of freebies for you from them.
Click Here for preview activity


Click Here for a Preview Activity


 You can check them out in my Teacher's Notebook store.


I'm really torn about selling stuff on Teacher's Notebook. I just recently read a blog post about everyone selling things and no one sharing anymore.When I read this post, it made me feel bad for selling things. It made me feel like I wasn't sharing my items anymore. But that's not true. I shouldn't feel bad for trying to support myself and for being compensated for time and clip art that I've bought. After reading this post, I decided that I wouldn't follow this blogger anymore. I didn't need to feel bad for trying new things. It makes me happy to create and offer some freebies but also it is exciting when I sell stuff.  I still see lots of freebies out in the blogging world and I try to still offer freebies every week.  I totally understand people selling things. Now that I've been working on a few units of my own, I can see all the hard work that goes into it. It has taken me forever to get this Valentine's Day stuff made. I made it as a response to things I needed in my classroom. I started some tutoring last week and I plan on using these activities with my small groups. I want others to be able to use my stuff and love to share my ideas. But I also like to buy things on Teacher's Notebook and TPT myself. It's been nice to be able to use the very small amount of money that I've made to buy other materials. The most expensive things I have on my store is $3.50. I chose that because that's about what I like to spend on items. I don't really like to spend more than $5.00 on stuff but some of the packets are worth it. I am going to spend money on books and things for my classroom, I would rather spend this money supporting other teachers. What do you guys think about selling stuff versus offering freebies?
 I would love to hear what you have to say about this. Also, if you grab one of my freebies please leave me some love. I need all the encouragement I can get in this venture.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten into make big units yet for TpT but I want to. The reason I haven't is all the time and work involved. I think freebies are great but they should be one activity from a unit. The entire unit needs to cost a little. I am like you I would much rather pay a fellow teacher $5 to $10 then spend $30 on a book I will only use one activity out of. Freebies are nice, but we are all living on teachers salaries. I would think any teacher blogger out there would understand that, but I guess I was wrong. I would have also stopped following this person if I read that blog! Do you have a TpT store as well as a Teachers Notebook? I only ask because TpT is probably going to start taking purchase orders later this year!

    Markeeta
    ateacherandablog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we don't all have to agree. That is what makes our country so great. There are places in the world where people do not have the right to speak their mind. the blogger you are not following now because her opinion is different than your may be someone who you has made your classrooms better place with some of her freebies. who are you hurting by not following anymore? Just another view point to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see it both ways. I love to offer freebies, but some of the clipart that I use has TOU that does not allow me to share it freely. In that case, shouldn't I offer it for sale to those who want to buy it? Also, I made a 96 page Valentine's unit for my class - that is way too much work to give away as a freebie, even if the clipart TOU would allow it! I think bloggers should be able to sell their creations or offer freebies. Personally, if a blog doesn't share great ideas and occasional freebies, I am less likely to follow them. But, I would never not follow someone just because they have a TPT where they sell some of their stuff. So, I think freebies are awesome, but I don't begrudge anyone a chance to make a little money on the side. I know that any money I make on my products is just going to go straight back into my classroom - probably in the form of other TPT items lol!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what upsets me is the posting that one blogger just reached $500,000 in total sales. How much money does this blogger really need. Offering a freebie now and then is not enough. Have you ever bought a unit and find only one or two useful items? Also many of my children are not at that level yet and the activities are just too difficult. It turns out to be a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's good to offer a freebie activity from the unit, but as much time and effort you put into making the units, you need reinbursed for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello new friend!
    I am so glad to meet ya! I am now a follower!
    Happy Monday!
    Reagan

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a difficult situation... For me, I work 2 jobs... teaching and a Saturday job to put my daughter through school. I offer freebies on my blog but also offer things through my shops. It is a choice for teachers to go there to purchase my things. I appreciate everyone who does so because it helps me financially to purchase clipart, and to put her through school. I agree totally with you... we should not feel bad at all. Keep up the great work! I love you stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog and started following...and totally agree that teachers should definitely not feel bad about selling things on tpt or teacher's notebook. I would much rather give money to a fellow teacher rather than a big corporation. Plus, many things I find on t.p.t. are more useful than what I find in commercial teaching books!

    Stop by my blog sometime if you get a chance....
    Kelly
    "Kindergarten Kel

    ReplyDelete