Monday, May 7, 2012

Math Monday

Yay! I'm actually going to try to stick to the rough schedule I made last week. Friday when I was home sick, I made a rough outline of posts I was going to make this week. So here I go. First up is math Monday. Such a clever name I know. Anyway, on to my math post.
We have adopted common core in my school system already this year. It has been an interesting year full of new things. We have new standards and a new evaluation system and I have brand new kids. (I loop so every other year I have new kids.)Oh yeah and a new math series that I'm not really crazy about. I tried to give it a chance but it just doesn't work for me. So it's been a year.
I've tried to follow common core standards this year like we're suppose to. But there are quite a few things that seem important to me that are not in the ccss. Like money. Apparently they don't show up until 2nd grade. At least that's the word on the street. I just can't understand this. I can't possible not teach money. So I've been teaching money. I've at least been introducing it and talking about it. Some of the fun stuff we've doing with money. We compared nickels and pennies using labels. I let one student hold a penny and one held a nickel. Then we labeled them and then put the labels into a Venn diagram. (This is not my original idea. But I loved it. You can find the original idea at Forever in First.) The kids loved this. I think tomorrow we're going to compare a quarter and a dime or a quarter and a dollar. Not sure yet. Probably a quarter and a dime. I don't have enough dollars to go around. We've also been playing a trading game with money. I have on my to do list to create some sheets to go with this game. Eventually I hope to have a  mini money unit on TPT. Tomorrow we're sorting money. We're going to sort big money as a class. Then they are going to sort small money with a partner and then they'll do a sheet where they sort on their own. We'll see how it goes. Until then, you can check out this sorting sheet I made. The clipart is from the 3AM teacher. I love her money unit. If you download, leave me some love.

Coin Sorting Sheet
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
On another note, I'm throwing a sale in my TPT store. You can get 20% off from me until May 10th.Then an extra 10% off from TPT when you use the code until May 8th. So come check my store out. Click here to go to my store.

8 comments:

  1. Kerri,

    We also implemented common core this year and I agree with you that they are missing out on some important skills if you hold them off until 2nd grade. Our kindergarten and first grade team both agreed that if we only use money to teach number sense, then it is okay. Meaning, we teach them that a penny is worth one, a nickel is worth five and a dime is worth ten. We just happen to throw in the concept of a quarter being worth 25. We mostly do this during our calendar time when we are showing how much the date is worth. We also use money when learning to count on...for example...(nickel + 2 pennies would be 5, 6, 7).

    As a team, we decided that this would be what we would tell the "curriculum cops" if they ask.

    Happy Blogging!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually not taught money yet in K (I am in my second year teaching and 3rd spring if you count internship). Florida hasn't had money in the standards for K for a while. But I totally understand what you mean about some of CCSS "missing the mark". Overall, I really like the new math standards (we are implementing K-2 next year) but one thing I think is crazy is that there is no patterning. I have heard it said that the thought is that they want them to look for patterns in numbers instead of shapes and colors and such but I just don't see how they are supposed to be able to find patterns in numbers if they cannot extent "blue red blue red". So, uh sorry, but I am teaching patterning next year *foot down* haha :)

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine not introducing children to money until second ggrade. I think it is hard for students to understand money in kindergarten and first grade, but a lot of them do get it. And for those that don't, at least they have some exposure. It is something that should be introduced, at lease name and value, in kindergarten and continue from there. Thanks for the freebie! I found you through Manic Monday!

    Ashley
    Live2Learn

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing!
    I found you on manic monday.
    check out my freebies: http://readingwithmissd.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your kids are enjoying the labels!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our district has adopted CCSS as well but have also decided that patterning is too important to skip in K so they are mandating that we teach it. Needless to say, we are delighted.
    Sharon
    Dogdaysofkindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post and then reading the comments has been very helpful as I have been recently wrapping my mind more and more around common core. Thank you for sharing.

    Sheila
    Sprinkle Teaching Magic

    ReplyDelete