Sunday, January 13, 2013

Small Group Sunday (and some freebies)

I've already mentioned on here that my OLW is intention. I'm trying to be more intentional with my planning and lessons. I especially want to accomplish this in my small groups. I thought that if I set aside a blog day for it, maybe it would help me stay accountable. We came back to school on Tuesday so already I was a day behind on my planning sheet.
 This is how much I had filled out by Tuesday afternoon at school. I had planned that day and then the next day. I was already seeing where this sheet was going to cut it for me. My top group of readers were working on a chapter book and I was struggling to meet with each group.
 This is how my sheet looked at the end of the week. Not so hot on the whole planning part. I didn't meet with groups like I had wanted and do the activities I wanted. I think part of my problem was not planning ahead. If I had planned ahead I could have asked my assistant to meet with a couple of groups each day. So Friday afternoon, I changed the format of the sheet and planned through Wednesday. I'm hoping after I meet with the groups on Monday I can finish up the planning sheet. I think I am at least starting out the week a little better this week.
I also got my fluency sheets for unit 3 complete. These have practice for long a, long i, s blends, digraphs and triple consonant blends. Of course this is the last week I'm working on unit 3 in the reading series but better late than ever. I use these as a warm up to start the group with. I have the students take turns reading rows of the words to practice their fluency and decoding skills. Here's a freebie for you:

Click here to access this freebie.
Click here for unit 1 of these words.
Click here for unit 2 of these words
I'm also sharing an updated version of my planning sheet. Click here to get a updated copy of the planning sheet. 
Hopefully you can use one or both of these sheets. I haven't read anymore in my Making Small Groups Work book. This past week was just too crazy to do much reading. I also didn't tackle any math groups at all. But there's always this week. How did you first week back at school go? Be sure to let me know if you download these freebies and how they worked in your classroom.
I'm linking up with Classroom freebies today for Manic Monday so be sure to stop by and check out the other freebies.

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
Please keep the student at my school, Regan in your prayers. He starts his first round of treatment at St. Jude's tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the freebie. Do you have lists for Unit 1 and 2? If so, are they up for sale on TpT?

    Marcy
    marcy_sundling@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Classroom Freebies... Thanks so much for sharing your ideas! Debbie @ http://kidsbibledebjackson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the chart. I am a student teacher, and will start guided reading at the end of this month. This will definitely help :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting these. They will be perfect for my small group intervention as a warm-up!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete