Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Random ramblings on a flood day

Today is day 2 of being off school for flooding and heavy rains. Yesterday I got up and got ready and was on my way to school. I thought it was weird that I didn't see any buses or very many cars. When I got to school and there were no cars in the parking lot I figured out we were out. It worked out since I was running late anyway. But it would have been nice to have known before I got out of bed. We have a telephone system that calls when we are out. I didn't get a phone call so I just assumed that we weren't out. Apparently the telephone system had some glitches. But I did get to have breakfast with my hubby. I also got a haircut, had a meeting and dinner with friends. It was a good day off. My friends we had dinner with were also teachers so we were excited when we saw on facebook that we were out again today. Poor Chris he still had to get up and go to work this morning. I on the other hand slept in pretty late this morning. It was so nice. I rarely am really able to sleep in. I really needed today to just do nothing. It has been so nice to sit on the couch and work on my computer. I didn't spend as much time resting over the weekend as I wanted to. My knee has been pretty sore since going back to work and I've been fighting off a sinus infection so today was perfect. I have had a couple of ideas for some new activities to work on so today was the day. I just posed this activity down below, Snowman Scramble. I can't wait to try out with my kids as soon as we're back in school. I'm having a giveaway of it on my fb page so check it out.This picture is from my teacher's notebook store. I just updated the store and am having a sale there this weekend. It's 25% off. What I need to be working on is unit 4 of my words that pop up. I have had a couple of teachers ask me about it and I'll be starting unit 4 next week. So I should probably get on it. But I'm switching the program I do the unit on so I've been a little reluctant to work on it.
I really don't want this post to just be a commercial for my new unit but I don't have much else to share. Since I haven't taught these past 2 days. I'm trying to think of something interesting to post about our day on Monday. But I'm not coming up with anything. So maybe I'll just ramble a little bit about reading in general.
Reading is one of my favorite things to do. I love to read especially on days when it's rainy and cold like today. Books and reading is such a big part of my life I'm even on my city's library board. This is just a new adventure that I've been on. I started on the board this summer and it's been a good experience. I love our little library. When we first moved to Gatlinburg, the library was right down the street from the elementary school. My sister and I would stay at the library and do our homework while waiting on our parents to pick us up. I loved it. I think I had read every book in the library by the time I got out of high school. When I moved back home about 6 years ago, the library really hadn't changed much. There were not as many new books and I was pretty sure I check them all out. But a few years ago, a brand new library was built. It is a beautiful building. But I still wasn't sure that there were a lot of newer books. In the past few years, the library's new book collection has grown and it's now a place I love to go get books or to read at. There's a fire place and a cat. It's a great place. I love being on the board because I get the opportunity to make this place I love even better. We had a board meeting last night, and it never fails that our discussions end up talking about books and what we have read. We were discussing reading on an e-reader versus reading a real book. There are 2 other teachers on the board so this discussion bled into what we wanted for our students. I enjoy reading on my kindle. It's so convenient but I also love reading a real book I can hold. One of the other teachers was talking about how she wanted her students to only read real books. This got me thinking and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think part of reading is the experience of holding a book and how it smells and how it feels. What do you think? Do you have a preference for what kind of books you want your students reading? Do you have a local library you love?

3 comments:

  1. I definitely think there is power in all types of reading! :) Some of my little ones get so much more into books on the ipad, book flix, etc. BUT, I agree that there is something special about holding a book.

    I am SOO jealous! We had snow all day yesterday, and I just knew we were gonna have a snow day. When my kiddos finally walked through my door, my dream was dashed hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super jealous of your unexpected days off! Those are the best. We have a 4 day weekend this weekend, so I'm just trying to make it through the rest of the week. Yall stay safe! I saw about the floods on the news.

    Natalie
    Teachery Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't really say I have a preference over reading a real book or one on my iPad. I think they are both great ways to read. A book is better for those sunny beach days though;) hope you we safe with all the rain!

    Aloha,
    Corinna

    ReplyDelete