Saturday, July 2, 2016

Using Technology in Small Groups: Comprehension

I didn't forget about my series on the blog. I just have been busy this week. I started off the week at a Google Apps for Education training. It was really good and gave me a lot to think about. I'll hopefully be posting about this at a later date. I'm working on creating and updating some of my resources to be Google Classroom compatible. Hopefully I'll get access to it when school starts. It would be even better if I had more technology but that doesn't mean I'm not going to work on it with what I have. Anyway, today's post is about using using tech in small groups and centers with a focus on comprehension.
The activity I'm going to share is one of my absolute favorite activities I did with my kids last year. Retelling is a big skill for kindergarten. We practice whole group using a variety of strategies. I decided to try to do it with tech twist and the iPad. It was Dr. Seuss week and we had been reading The Cat in the Hat. I took pictures of the book with my phone and then used airdrop to drop them on my iPad. Then I had the kids use the app Show Me. (It is free from Apple app store but does have a paid option.) This is an interactive white board app where students can import pictures, take pictures, record themselves, and write. I made a video off an example using this app.


You can check out the retelling show me that my kids did here. I love that I can share links with parents and they can see what their kids have been up to in class. I send my weekly newsletter home through email each week. I only have had 1-2 families that don't receive it that way. I can include this link in my newsletter and parents can see it. How would you use this app with your students?
I'll be back in a few days after the fourth to finish up this series with information about writing and more information about centers. I  hope you have a happy and safe Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment