Friday, June 26, 2015

Five for Friday!

I am so excited to be linking up with Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. I haven't linked up with her in forever. I think I'm finally getting back into some kind of groove with blogging and creating again. Of course that groove depends on nap time. I'll take advantage when I can. So here's my five for Friday.

1. We went on our first vacation as a family of three this past weekend and first part of the week. We started out going to Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC. It was fun but we waited in line a lot. Stan Lee was there. (He's basically the creator of all things Marvel. If you didn't know) So Chris wanted to get something signed and we got a picture with him. Susie did great waiting in line. I was so surprised. Of course she made up for at night when she cried and wouldn't sleep in her pack and play. Eventually I got her to go to sleep in between us. Which means I didn't get any sleep at all. She doesn't sleep with us normally. Co-sleeping just isn't for me. I'd be a nervous wreck all the time that Chris or I would roll over on her.  Sunday we headed to Topsail Island, NC for a few days at the beach. I think Sus liked the beach but overall she was pretty non plussed about the whole thing. 


 2. I finally finished updating an old file. I'm pretty excited about it. It was in desperate need of a face lift. Not only did I give new life with updated fonts and clip art, I changed a lot of the activities. I think it is a lot more useable and I can't wait to use it in my classroom. Check it out on TPT here. 




 3. While on vacation, I really didn't think I would get a lot of reading done. In the past, I have read more than one book a day. I knew that was not going to be possible with an almost 6 month old. But I did read 2 books while gone.

 Eleanor and Park is a young adult book that according to Amazon is all about a first love. And it is but to my teacher brain it was so much more. Eleanor comes from a very difficult background and home and it made me think about the kids in my community that are living in homes like hers. I couldn't put it down and read the whole book in one day. After putting Sus down for bedtime I couldn't wait to finish the book. We were getting up at 4 am to leave the next morning and I made Chris keep the light on longer than he wanted.
 I read Saving Grace on the car ride home. Again, I couldn't put it down. It wasn't what I was expecting but I really liked it. I'm not sure how to explain it. You can check it out on Amazon here.
4. I am trying to get my head back into teaching mode. After taking an extended maternity leave my brain has really been focused on just being a mommy. I have been in search of a professional development book that would help with that. Fran at Kindergarten Crayons posted some suggestions yesterday. Check it out here. 
I settled on Kindergarten and the Common Core. I was able to get a copy for my Kindle for $7.99. I've only read a couple of chapters so I can't comment much on it. But hopefully I'll have more to blog about as a I get further in it. 
5. Lastly, I have been participating in a couple of different Bible Studies lately. The first one is from She Reads Truth and it is called Women in the Word. It has been so good. I have learned so much. The first part is all about women in the Old Testament. You can follow along on the website or on the app. On the app it costs $1.99 to purchase the study.  


The second study I've been doing is part of Proverbs 31 ministries. They do online bible studies. It is 5 weeks long and is based on a book. Each day during the week there are videos, Bible study tips, devotions, other people's stories and so much more. The current study is on the book The Mended Heart. The last one I did was on the book What Happens When Women Walk in Faith. It has really challenged me to dig deeper into the Bible. Check it out here to get the details.

That's what is going on with me this week. Sue is actually still napping so I might get to start a new project before she gets up. Be sure to check out the party over at Doodle Bugs Teaching. 
I would love to hear what your reading or if you've checked out either of the Bible Studies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment